Ready and Waiting
When on call there are quite a few things that I do to prepare:
1) Make sure doula bag is packed and ready to go.
2) Keep doula tshirt and scrubs in my doula bag. This makes getting dressed super easy.
3) Make sure the car always has gas.
4) Line up childcare. This is usually done every single day. Involves several people with lots of backup plans.
5) Have food in the house that my husband can quick fix into a meal for the family.
6) Keep phone charged.
7) Go to bed at a reasonable hour.
8) Limit alcohol to one drink a night.
9)Have cash on hand.
10) Alert clients/friends/family/school that I might cancel on all commitments at a moments notice.