January 03, 2013
Yes, those fancy hospital birthing suites with views of the city, big TVs, homelike environments with attractive wood panels that hide all of the hospital equipment are nice. I definitely wouldn't want to go back to the cold and sterile labor rooms of the past. But when it comes down to it, I have to admit that my absolute favorite spot for laboring mothers is the bathroom.
With just a few simple steps, the hospital bathroom can become a magical laboring cave.
1) Shut off the overhead light(s)
2) Bring in some battery operated candles or even a string of Christmas lights.
3) Add her favorite music
4) Add her support team (partners and doulas are great)
5) Keep out any family members that might be 'watching' her labor like a pot trying to boil on the stove.
6) Bring in her water in a cup with a straw.
7) Close the door until it is just cracked open.
Whether she is in the shower, in the tub or sitting on the toilet this cave-like environment is magical.
I highly recommend it!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know
about coupons and special promotions.