October 10, 2013
Walk into a room when I am supporting a couple and you might think that I am just sitting there doing nothing. I won’t be talking. I won’t be touching the client. I won’t be using anything in my bag.
What I am doing:
• Watching mom’s breathing and sometimes breathing loudly alongside her to remind her to slow down her breath
• Scanning mom’s body during the contraction to make sure that she isn’t holding any tension
• Monitoring the temperature and lighting to create the peaceful environment that she desires
• Calculating how long it has been since she emptied her bladder
• Thinking about how long she has been in her current position and thinking about the next position that she might try
• Timing contractions to see if they are longer, stronger and closer together
• Thinking about when mom and her partner last had a snack
• Reviewing her preferences to make sure that everything is going close to her plan
I could go on and on!
What other things do you do as a doula when it looks as if you are doing nothing?
Sign up for our newsletter and find out about more blogs like this one.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know
about coupons and special promotions.