The Doula is just sitting there doing nothing
Walk into a room when I am supporting a couple and you might think that I am just sitting there doing nothing. I won’t be talking. I won’t be touching the client. I won’t be using anything in my bag.
What I am doing:
• Watching mom’s breathing and sometimes breathing loudly alongside her to remind her to slow down her breath
• Scanning mom’s body during the contraction to make sure that she isn’t holding any tension
• Monitoring the temperature and lighting to create the peaceful environment that she desires
• Calculating how long it has been since she emptied her bladder
• Thinking about how long she has been in her current position and thinking about the next position that she might try
• Timing contractions to see if they are longer, stronger and closer together
• Thinking about when mom and her partner last had a snack
• Reviewing her preferences to make sure that everything is going close to her plan
I could go on and on!
What other things do you do as a doula when it looks as if you are doing nothing?
Sign up for our newsletter and find out about more blogs like this one.
- Tags: Blogtober
- Alice Turner